You may have heard that Invisalign treatment can be painful. While it’s true that you may experience some discomfort during treatment, there are ways to minimize the pain. Here are some tips from our team of orthodontic experts:
1. Start with a shorter treatment plan. If you’re concerned about pain, ask your orthodontist or Coconut Creek dentist about starting with a shorter treatment plan. This will minimize the amount of time you need to wear aligners and can help reduce discomfort.
2. Take ibuprofen before you put it in your aligners. If you know you’re going to be putting in your aligners for an extended period of time, take ibuprofen beforehand. This will help reduce any inflammation and pain. You can also use a numbing gel on your gums before putting in your aligners to further reduce discomfort.
3. Drink lots of water. Drinking plenty of water helps keep your mouth moist and can help reduce friction when you’re putting in or taking out your aligners. It’s also important to avoid sugary drinks and alcohol, as they can dry out your mouth and increase discomfort.
4. Wear your aligners for shorter periods of time at first. If you’re just starting treatment, wear your aligners for shorter periods of time at first (e.g., only while you’re at home). As your mouth adjusts to the aligners, you can gradually increase the amount of time you wear them each day.
5. Use dental wax if you experience irritation. If your aligners are causing irritation, use dental wax to cover any sharp edges. This will help reduce discomfort until your next appointment with us.
In short, yes—Invisalign in Coconut Creek can be painful, but there are ways to minimize the discomfort. If you’re concerned about pain, we recommend starting with a shorter treatment plan, taking ibuprofen before putting in your aligners, drinking lots of water, wearing your aligners for shorter periods of time at first, and using dental wax if you experience irritation.
Our team is always here to answer any questions you may have—don’t hesitate to give us a call!
Contact Family Smiles of Florida in Coconut Creek, FL
Family Smiles of Florida
6746 N State Rd 7
Coconut Creek, FL, 33073